Sunday, December 16, 2007

Let me be the one who calls you baby all the time ...

~ The Used

OMG! So I was chilling out at home this evening watching movies and e-shopping for shoes (I'm on a hunt for the perfect Manolo shoes to get myself for christmas), when I remembered I had to add movies to my online Blockbuster queue . I signed on to blockbuster, searched for a bit, and came across the movie 'Omega Man' - yeah, the one with Charleston Heston which is a remake of the original 'I Am Legend'. I'd seen the preview at my local Blockbuster and made a mental note of watching it sometime soon. I kinda want to see it before seeing Will Smith's version which I think will be a pretty good movie. Lord knows I haven't been able to say that about ANY movie at all this year. The last movie I thought was good ...V for Vendetta...and that was a while ago. Darn crappy Hollywood.

Anyway, I'd forgotten about the mental note already so when I came across the movie on the site, I got excited and quickly added it to my queue. As soon as I did that, a small window popped up on my PC stating (I'm paraphrasing here) that notice of my selection was being sent to FB and would be sent as a newsfeed to my friends. OMG WHAT??? I wasn't even logged on to FB!!! If this is not an invasion of my privacy then...good God! Well, I was shocked, to say the least.

I've only been on FB for a week or so at this point and I find myself questioning a few things. For one, most of the apps you can add to your profile aren't even created by FB, so just how safe is it to add them?? Does FB monitor the code of ethics of these 3rd party app developers to ensure they do not dump spyware on my PC? Obviously, even without my being logged on to the site, FB's tracking my usage and transmiting it to the Newsfeed section of my and my friends profiles.

Shouldn't I have the choice to opt out of all this tracking? Shouldn't I be the one who decides which of my online non-FB activities are broadcasted to my friends? Shouldn't FB have CLEARLY informed me that it would do this??

I'll call u babe, k? Don't call me.

The wheels...they are a-churning.....

No comments: