Saturday, January 16, 2010

Henry VIII

I recently started watching The Tudors - as in about a week ago. I guess on some random day I was bored, moseyed on over to Showtime On-Demand, and realized that The Tudors was the only Showtime show left to watch (who knew I'd like the United States of Tara so much, heh). Anyway so I started watching this old time , victorian-era-looking show, knowing I wouldn't like it and, by jove, I did!

Unfortunately, Comcast only has the first season so that's all I've watched so far. While watching, I was also looking up Anne Boleyn's and Henry VIII's history on wikipedia. It's interesting reading up on how the decisions of those in power way back when led to major changes in religion and people's perception of religion and the times. One silly girl set her sights on a King and changed the course of history. It's interesting how religion has always been such a driving force in wars, the definition of treason, and history. Silly silly girl.

How annoying is it that, at least according to the movies, and we all know how closely movies mirror the real life events eh, Henry VIII dragged Queen Katherine through the wringer just because of a silly, uncouth, depraved, sadistic, inhuman, vile woman. And his advisers/inner caucus? Men, one has to be careful from whom one takes advice. Everyone around the king was out to get something from him. Anne, her father and uncle, Charles Brandon( Duke of Suffolk - Henry Cavill = HUNK!), the cardinal, everyone. Tough position the king was in, I'll give him that, but to buy into the English reformation propaganda and ignore the voice of his people was unforgivable. Douchebag.


No comments: