Sunday, August 29, 2010

Jamaican Curried Lamb with Rice & Peas

I've been jonesing for some Jamaican food lately and since the closest Jamaican spot to us is a good hour away with traffic (and there's always traffic, even on a Sunday), I decided to look up some recipes online. My usual recipe site (allrecipes.com) didn't have much in the way of highly rated Jamaican recipes so I looked elsewhere. I finally chose this Jamaican curried Chicken recipe but decided to substitute lamb (and beef!) for the chicken (I didn't realize until after I'd finished cooking that there was a curried goat recipe on the same site. Dummy.


Caribbean-Curried-Goat
(source)


The video on the recipe page was very helpful as there were additional tips in the video which were not in the written instructions.

I couldn't wait the two hours the recipe calls for to marinate the meat, after a half hour i grabbed the meat from the fridge and got to cooking! Next time I will absolutely marinate the meat for the full length of time as I think that will make for a much tastier dish. I also omitted the potatoes and used carrots instead. I got the peeled baby carrots from the grocery store and cut those in half. I used 5 tablespoons of curry because other recipes I found did not use as much curry as this recipe called for, and I though 5 may be too much. Turns out the curry was not overwhelming at all and to be honest, I think adding that final tbsp would only have made this dish even better.

I served the curried lamb (and beef) with brown rice mixed with canned black-eyed peas.

Yum yum yum! It had the same consistency as the curried lamb/goat I get from Jamaican restaurants. It was pretty tasty but I think it would have been loads better if I'd followed the recipe to the T. Next time, I won't change a thing

Great recipe. It definitely satisfied my craving for Jamaican food. Hubby really liked it and that's no small feat.

No comments: